Sunday, October 19, 2008

Last night Jazzy Jeff saved my life

Here is the question, why is it in Vancouver, if you want to go to a Hip Hop club night that you are almost guaranteed to hear one of these following songs; Hypnotize, California Love, No Digitty, Too Close or that Put Your Hands up For Detroit song.
Really? Are these club classics or something? Why after 10 or so years these songs are on rotation on a regular Hip Hop club DJ? Who was the person that thought that these are the tracks that just never dies?

Do we really want to remember Biggie for Hypnotize? Can't you play something else? You don't have to play 10 Crack Commandments, or Who Shot Ya but give me something else.

Why do they play Jay-z songs that have Ja-Rule or JD?

Can't they play, Girls, Girls, Girls, or Encore, or PSA, or Jockin Jay-Z?

I'm not asking people to play some Little Brother or Murs or Talib Kweli, just some songs that are at least current and charting, maybe something outside or the normal dated rotation that I seem to always hear.

What about John Legend's new song? T.I. has a song that went from 70 to number 1 on Billboard, isn't that something you want to play?

The rise of internet and satellite was because people were sick of regular radio. We need a new form DJ standard because frankly after dropping $15 on cover and $30 on a few drinks I'd like to hear at least one song that's not poor mash up or something from the 90's that should have been forgetten. Who is to say the public can't handle songs outside of the 2 dozen songs that you play in a night? I heard songs repeated 3 times last night, there is far too much music out there to have to repeat a song in a set. I'm not even being an elitist here, just play a nice clean set. I remember when I went to Jazzy Jeff last year, he put on the best sets that I've heard. Can't we have something that every night? Something remotely close?

At the end of the day I'll be happy if they play Flashing Lights just once when I'm at a club.


Love,

Vince

No comments: