Friday, November 14, 2008

Grown Clothes

Here's my thoughts on Streetwear. Lately it's about the grown up look, cleaner aesthetics the kid looking for those Nike's, rocking the rose and dagger hoody with a Bape t-shirt. Wants to wear Helmet Lang, shuns post Hedi Slimane Dior Homme and APC dress shirts. The thing is streetwear companies are following en-suite.

Keys to most of the streetwear companies, one make an M65, make selvage jeans, black t-shirts, white t-shirts, another black t-shirt, plaid shirt, black t-shirts.

Now I am older, I do like to wear clothes without a picture of Big Pun in Neon colors or a shirt with a play on words in reference to sneakers. I do wear that stuff once in a while (I'm not dissing I would actually wear a Big Pun shirt in Neon colors). I like bright and flashy shirt designs, it's interesting, it's fun. I'm going on a tangent now, my point is, why do I want to pay $150-$200 for a plain M65 made by a streetwear brand when I can get a real army one for 60 bucks? Why do I want your selvage jeans when I can get some 45rpm's made by people that have been designing jeans for a long ass time? I like my grown clothes to be designed by designers. I like my army clothes from the Army Surplus, I like my work clothes from work wear joints. Don't nobody want to pay $100 for a plaid shirt from you when I can get one that fits amazing from Uniqlo. I have to admit I have bought a pair of shorts from a streetwear company this past summer. They were chambray shorts that had a nice little twist to it that made me want to buy them. If you put a nice twist to a classic then I'll give you dap, but if it's plain and normal, I'm just going to go get the real thing.

Now this brings me to the point of people hating on streetwear, streetwear is dead, blah blah blah, I dunno dude just because you rock some Doc Martens wear a button up and you grown doesn't mean you should hate. Just shut the fuck up, if you talking all black gear I rather peep Rick Owens, Polo looking joints, I might as well buy Polo, button ups, I'm going to Thomas Pink. There are many brands, people and companies that do walk this fine line of doing this grown thing right. But there are tons out there that are just out of their league, you're not a designer, your gear don't fit right. You are stuck in the middle not much more grown then the kid with the SB's and not designing shit that can run with the lifestyle brands that's been doing it for the last 20 years.

It's a recession, sure some of the wacky neon brands will fall, but your hating ass in your plain white tee, dry dark blue jeans and Vans Era's better think of a better strategy when your selling those non descript clothes with a jacked block for an arm and a leg.



Love,

Vince